Monday, March 19, 2018

Passage Reflections - Karina 's Thoughts

We’ve now been on dry land for 4 days after what I found to be a very long, difficult 3 week passage.  I thought I’d write a few quick notes on my impressions of the last passage before it is all too far in the past to remember how I felt.  Maybe this entry will be useful later when Gary has some crazy idea to sail around Cape Horn or to do something equally crazy…

I’m still not sure if I feel a sense of accomplishment yet, or just massive relief for having made it here in one piece without any major breakages.  We went through at least five major weather systems (or was it six??), each with seas greater than 4 meters and winds in the 30 knot range during each event.  We’d have 24-36 hours of crap conditions, then about a 12-24 hour break before the next one.  The breaks were definitely required, but not necessarily restful as it was often difficult to keep the boat moving in the light airs and big seas.  We ended up running north 250 nm to avoid one big system, only to be smacked immediately following it by another, even bigger system on our second last day.  We saw sustained 30 knot winds and 5 meter seas for about six hours.  We managed to fill the cockpit with water three times on my shift which was incredibly scary… the only good thing about it was seeing how fast the water emptied through the cockpit drains.  Thank heavens for small miracles.  During that storm I declared I’d be perfectly happy to never sail again.  And there are no pictures as I never want to remember those conditions… Being on the bottom of one wave and looking up to the crest of the next many, many feet up was not a pleasant experience.  I definitely never want to go through conditions like that again.

One of the things that kept me going during the difficult hours was watching all the sea birds.  We had a flock of either petrels or shearwaters (need a bird book!) follow us pretty much the whole way.  I’d watch them and imagine that they represented all the people at home following us on the blog or on our tracker.  That helped give me the strength to make it through my watch.  Interestingly, on the really, really tough days, when I needed an extra shot of courage, an albatross would make an appearance...  I think I have a new spirit animal.

The boat took a beating this year but managed to make it through reasonably unscathed.  We’ve worked it out that she (and Gary) spent 59 days offshore.  The vast majority of those days were in rough conditions.  Despite a few leaks, she looked after us really well.  Frankly, I don’t know how she didn’t shake apart.  In terms of issues (at least on Legs 2 and 3) we chafed through two furling lines and the genoa sheet. We also lost the pins out of 4 shackles – the genoa shackle, and two separate shackles on the boom vang (we lost one of them twice!).   In addition, two sets of screws for the bimini came undone (but were luckily found before they escaped overboard), and the top pins that hold the bimini together came out twice.  We also developed a stress fracture on one of the hydrovane mounts (note, the hydrovane is our device that steers the boat by the wind).  We monitored the crack daily and it did grow in size over the course of the trip, but happily it (and the back end of the boat) didn’t fall off.   We also broke the lazyjacks again, although that was caused by handler-error, not the seas.  Overall, I can’t say enough good things about Heidi, our hydrovane – she steered us faithfully in every condition we encountered, from the light airs to the 5 meter seas.  Our autopilot (Otto) also had no problem in any of the conditions we put it through.  And our engine, Myrtle, started reliably when required.  We couldn’t have asked for more. 

As for making it here in one piece, I’d like to thank Nadine for helping us get the boat here.  She was very helpful crew and kept us fed and allowed us to get some rest.  And of course, I need to thank Gary for getting us here safely.  I don’t think he slept more than 2 hours a day, but made all the right decisions on where to go and when.  He calmly dealt with every issue as it came up (always at 2 am) and constantly reminded me that our boat was just like a rubber ducky in a big bathtub.  He was right – we just kept bobbing up and down each wave, no matter how big.

Am I glad I did this trip?  Honestly, I’m not sure.  I’m glad we are here and will definitely enjoy exploring Chile, but I’m a Cruiser, not a Sailor.  I didn’t hate being offshore (at least not all the time), but I certainly didn’t love it either.  Obviously I can do it, and I can see the appeal of trade wind sailing where you set the sails and forget them for two weeks.  As that should be the type of conditions we encounter when we leave Chile in a few years’ time, I know I will do another passage.  But, I’m happy it won’t be any time soon.

Overall trip details:
Leg 1: La Paz to Galapagos = 22 days; 1900 nm (~3600 km)
Leg 2: Galapagos to Easter Island = 16 days; 2000 nm (~3800 km)
Leg 3: Easter Island to Valdivia, Chile = 21 days; 2300 nm (~4370 km)

Overall distance travelled this year = ~11,700 km (greater than all the way across Canada and back)



  1. You are amazing! I faithfully followed your blog and imagined the adventures you were having... even if some of them weren't positive. I appreciate your honesty and courage in this post. If it is any consolation, as we get ready to do the Mx to Hawaii to NA passage again, most of my memories are happy ones...the bad stuff has just slipped away...and what I do remember was how profound the experience was - how great an appreciation I have for Mother Nature, and how fortunate I have been to be out in the big blue. You had a dream and you made it come true. Congratulations! All the best, Lyneita.

  2. Hi Karina. I am really impressed that you have not sworn off sailing completely!

    After our leg, we had many of the same feelings that you do, even though our passage seemed to be minor compared to what you went through. In Fact, we feel like whiners for complaining about our leg!

    I can relate about the sea birds....they kept us amused for many watches. We bought a stuffed boobie on San Cristobal which we were going to give to a friend's child, but we couldn't part with it, and it is now going to live on our boat. It will always remind us of the trip and just how cool it is to have these birds 'join the crew' for a few days.

    Gary must be completely wasted, with the lack of sleep and the massive responsibility of it all.

    Despite our (obvious) frustrations about how long our trip took, nagging about the invertor and our constant "you should turn right" (towards French Polynesia), he never lost his cool and got us to our destination safely. Rosario still swears that her couple of attempts to knock him overboard were "accidents". We would gladly crew again with him.....but we will be pickier with the route!

    Hopefully now he can relax and enjoy himself. We look forward to hearing about your travels in Chile, and to seeing you guys when you get back up here.

    Leg 1 crew
    Leg 1: La Paz to Galapagos = 22 days; 2110.6 nm (according to your inreach tracker)

  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

  4. Wow! Congrats you guys! I am so happy to hear that you got there safe and sound. I was worried about you the last week of the trip, and spent a few moments trying to imagine what you might be going through. It wasn't a pleasant thought.

    You are my hero Karina, and I can't believe how you can write with such positive flare. Five metre waves would have marked the end of my sailing ambitions.

    Hugs to you all and I look forward to seeing you when you guys get back home.

    Rosario (the most useless member of leg 1)