Thursday, December 14, 2017

La Paz to Galapagos: Day 5

This morning the crew were wondering if they were ever going to get "there". At this point, it didn't matter where "there" was, as long as it was somewhere other than "here". Sea Rover, realizing that she was surrounded by enemies on too many fronts decided to join forces with the crew in the battle to keep the boat moving and accepted a temporary cease fire against the captain. This allowed the captain to effect necessary repairs to the backstay and the crew to finally patch all the holes in the dinghy. Sea Rover even threw in a gift of fixing the radar herself. It remains to be seen as to how long the peace will last.
By noon, Sea Rover was overtaken by a significant rain system which she latched on to and rode for 6 hours, gleefully making much needed miles to our destination. The slight deck wash was an added bonus. The fun lasted until tonight when the expected light airs returned and it seems yet another battle will ensue for the remainder of the night.
The captain and crew are hopeful for a better tomorrow as forecasts show wind in the future. Only time will tell if the 2 day loosing streak of under 60NM per day will finally be broken.

radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

La Paz to Galapagos: Day 4

The crew were not misled when the captain warned of light airs and big seas for this passage. Today the captain was unfortunately proven correct much sooner than expected. Team Sea Rover has battled heavily today trying to keep the boat moving in varying breeze and swell. The last 12 hours have seen her move a painful 12 NM closer to the Galapagos. Frequent checks of the weather show no change and given there is no where to motor to, she wallows. Sometimes it would be nice to have no information on board and be blissfully ignorant about the passage of time and space.
In the separate battle between the captain and Sea Rover, Sea Rover has proven to be a master of warfare throwing a blown backstay jack, fried watermaker panel and a continuously leaking dinghy. The crew seem very motivated to keep the dinghy inflated. Its unclear if their confidence in the captain has waned and they see a need for a better option than the liferaft should the war be lost. The captain managed to bypass the watermaker control panel which should at least mean they wont die of thirst. Tomorrow's job will be to jury rig the backstay tensioner so the boat can sail again if the wind ever returns.
On a high note everyone sat at the cockpit dining table for a wonderful dinner of enchiladas with a super pod of dolphins frolicking all around the unmoving boat. It was noticed that a few of them tried to urge the hull forward with no success.
Tomorrow will hopefully bring fair wind and no giant following seas.

radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

La Paz to Galapagos: Day 3

Today will probably be our last sight of land for a number of week. A big day for Sea Rover... We are leaving Mexico. She tried hard to stay and maybe things will change but as of right now our next landfall will be Isla San Cristabal in the Galapagos.
The captain was up early running a few last wires while the crew worked on sewing a lee cloth, preparing food for passage and putting the finishing touches on Sea Rover for the big departure. We hoped for anchor up at 10am. By noon we were ready to go and started to pull the anchor up. Sea Rover made one last attempt to keep us in Mexico by killing half the instrument network. 2 hours our troubleshooting and we were ready to go. For the past 6 hours we've been making good time sailing downwind in reasonably boisterous seas. We will see how long our speed keeps up.
Tonight we have Chickpea Chorizo, a favorite of mine. All the crew are in good spirits to finally be underway.

radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

Monday, December 11, 2017

La Paz to Galapagos: Day 2

Today was a work day for the crew on Sea Rover. After a quick breakfast we tore the Hydrovane off the back and stripped it down into many pieces to get it working. An easy but time consuming fix. While the captain was working on that, crew patched the dinghy, ran some wires and prepared for start of the passage. The captain also dove the boat and then went up the rig to do a rig check and repair the lazy jacks. There was talk of using the bosuns chair to pull him out of the water and go right up the rig. We had hoped to also attach the swim ladder but no, the north winds had other ideas about doing work on the swim step. The day ended on a high note with a large cruiser get together on Distant Drummer. It was fun to see so many new faces arriving in to sea from far away places.
Tomorrow is the start of the real offshore work. We hope to arrive in Socorro in about 3 days.
For those keeping score... Gary won the day. Im sure Sea Rover will throw better curve balls at us tomorrow.

radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

Sunday, December 10, 2017

La Paz to Galapagos: Day 1

Sea Rover is finally getting to really stretch her legs. She doesn't seem too happy about it though. Day 1 started with a required stop in Bahia Falsa to fix a blown hose in the watermaker system. This fix was certainly required as we were fully out of water. After that quick fix we left La Paz in the dark and started our slow bash north to get around the point and turn south. Big seas and wind on the nose made progress slow and when we finally were able to get the sails up disaster struck as the lazy jacks got tangled in the reefing lines preventing us from shortening sail. At the same time the bilge alarm was constantly going off so we had carnage down below and on deck making the captain wonder if he shouldn't call uncle and give up on the dream to go to South America. A quick use of the barf bucket cleared his head and the boat settled down with only occasional blips from the bilge alarm due to gravity having enough power to actually move the float high without any water. By 4 am Sea Rover was happily making progress south and the off watch came on deck bleary eyed and apprehensive not knowing what else would be thrown at them. Their fears were unfounded as the remainder of that watch was uneventful if not sort of pleasant.
Daylight brought on calm enough conditions in light breezes to contemplate finishing the Hydrovane setup in order to get off dependence off the autopilot. Alas this was not to be as the top of the head unit is completely frozen due to it's lack of use by the previous owner. Yet another job to tackle in the wonderfull anchorage of Frailes, hopefully our last stop before heading offshore from Cabo.
Stay tuned till tomorrow for another episode of Sea Rover vs Gary where the hero battles unprecedented odds to leave Mexico.

radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

Friday, December 8, 2017

We wait....

Well, it's just been confirmed that I am the bad influence on the weather and not Karina.  We have been sitting in La Paz for the past week and now that Sea Rover is checked out of the country, provisioned and put back together (more or less) we now need to wait for the weather.
Its currently blowing 30 knots in La Paz harbour, which for those who know the area is bad.  Really Bad.  Luckily this norther event didn't happen at the beginning of the week when we had the extreme tides otherwise Sea Rover would probably be uninhabitable. 
Anyway, we hope to leave tomorrow morning on our big adventure.  Having said that, we hoped we could leave today too.  Keep an eye on the tracker, we'll be sure to activate it when we actually get out of here.
You can find where we are here:
Sea Rover InReach Tracker Page

Monday, November 27, 2017

It floats!

Hi everyone.
No time to post pictures but I figured it was important to update everyone on Sea Rover's status.
After a gruelling 2 month refit Sea Rover launched last Friday and is floating at the dock in Guaymas.   Karina flew down to make sure I got everything done and has just arrived back in Vancouver where she will work till she joins us in the Galapagos.
We hope to head to La Paz tomorrow where we will pick up the remainder of our crew at the end of the week.  We have an expected departure from Mexico planned for sometime next week.
Given we are leaving Mexico for a long series of offshore passages to Chile, we have made some changes in our communication gear.  Stay tuned for updates on how to track us.  You can always check out our "Where are We?" page for the latest on how to follow our progress in this year's adventure.
More posts are coming
Stay tuned.